In 1920, the well-known Corpus Christi Parish in the Seventh Ward of New Orleans had only been in existence four years. Creole master-builder Louis Charbonnet donated his time and talent to design and oversee the construction of the combination church-school building on Onzaga Street, which was dedicated in 1920. The sanctuary within the school building served as the parish’s place of worship until the beautiful Spanish-mission style edifice on Saint Bernard Avenue was constructed in 1930. Shown here are the delegates to the Tenth National Convention of the Knights of Peter Claver. These men come from some of the most well-known Creole families in Lousiana and along the Gulf Coast; among them – Creuzot, Faustina, Mason, Felton, Aubry, Figaro, Charbonnet, et als.
Corpus Christi was the fifth parish in New Orleans erected for parishioners of color. The first four were Saint Katherine’s on Tulane Avenue, established in 1895; Saint Dominic’s (later renamed Saint Joan of Arc) in 1909; Blessed Sacrament in 1915; Holy Ghost in 1915. The first four parishes were all located in the Uptown section of the city.