Holy Ghost Church, 1926-Present, Louisiana Avenue
The picture above shows the many happy faces exiting the Holy Ghost Church not long after the impressive Romanesque edifice was constructed on Louisiana Avenue in 1926. The congregation had worshipped for ten years in a combination church-school on Toledano Street, shown below (which still stands). Holy Ghost drew a large population of both old New Orleans families and migrants from the rural parishes of Louisiana who lived in the Uptown section. It was the fourth parish erected for colored communicants, following Saint Katherine’s on Tulane Avenue in 1895; Saint Dominic (Saint Joan of Arc) in Carrollton in 1909; and Blessed Sacrament in 1915. Holy Ghost Parish was home to many well-known families: Labat, Rousseve, Haydel, Dejoie, Bajoie, Geddes, Holtry, Frederick, Brossett, Richards, Roudeze, Augustine, Randolph, Cooper, Thomas, Fassett, Dedeaux, Dusuau, Rainey, Braud, Willard, Moore, and scores of others.
[Click to Enlarge Photo]
Holy Ghost Church & School, 1916-1926, Toledano Street
Photograph Source: Personal Collection; Holy Ghost Fathers Archives.