One of New Orleans’ most popular clubs is the Autocrat Club; and its clubhouse, long situated on Saint Bernard Avenue, has been the site of many festive affairs. The Autocrate Club was originally formed in 1909 and later re-organized in 1914, with Arthur Boisdore as its first president. The Autocrat Club has always been a civic and community-oriented club which lent its chambers to civil rights meetings, maintained a lending library for members when public libraries were segregated, and even served as a send-off point for colored soldiers during the First World War. Shown below are members of the Club who were instrumental in the planning and construction of the present clubhouse when it was dedicated in 1954.
George J. McKenna, Jr., President, and Peter J. Labuzan, Jr., Vice-President
Arthur J. Chapital, Jr.; Emile A. Soupenne, Jr.; Paul L. Ellsworth; W. J. Ferrand; Oscar Daste, Jr.
Albert Alvarez, Emile Frick, Joseph Azemard, Percy Paul, Lester D’Aunoy, Randolph Hithe; (Not shown – Richard Gumbel, Sr.)